I’ve made this salad only a couple of times, and I’ve done it differently both times. I also never use a recipe, or think to write down measurements of what i’m putting in, but i’ll try and get as close as possible so it can be recreated outside of just my kitchen. I love this salad, with healthy grains, and fresh veggies w/ a delicious citrus vinaigrette all soaked in… It makes a big bowl, but i’ll eat the whole dang thing!
Lets get to it, here’s what you’ll need:
- 1 box/bag organic red quinoa (or regular quinoa if you’d like)
- brussel sprouts ( I used about 6-7 large brussels)
- 2 carrots (medium sized)
- 1 small red onion
- 3 large oranges (and zest from 1 orange)
- 1 lime
- Cold Pressed Olive Oil (approx 1 cup)
- Raw Honey/Pure Maple Syrup (2 Tbsp)
- Raw Apple Cider Vinegar (2 Tbsp)
- 3-4 Tbsp chopped fresh dill
- 1 Garlic Clove
- Salt/Pepper to taste
- start off with cooking quinoa (whole box/package) according to directions provided on packaging, and then set aside to cool once its done
- using a mandolin slicer (if you have one it’ll make this so easy) shave the brussels into thin strips, along with the carrots and onion. If you don’t have a mandolin slicer, just do your best w/ a sharp knife to make thin slices/strips on the veggies, and then put them into a large mixing bowl
- In a separate mixing bowl or food processer, mix together the zest from 1 orange, the juice of 3 oranges, juice of 1 lime, the honey/syrup, vinegar, garlic, and olive oil together until well incorporated, and add salt/pepper to fit your taste. Should be a little sweet and tangy when it comes together
- in the large mixing bowl of cut up/shaved veggies, add in the quinoa, and stir it all up together, then add the vinaigrette, and chopped dill, and stir it all together. Taste it again to see if it needs anything else (more sweet, more tang/citrus, salt/pepper, etc.)
- Refrigerate for a couple hours (its best when cool, but you can eat it anytime once it’s mixed together)
Like I said, this makes quite a bit, probably around 8-10 servings depending on how big your servings are… for me its like 2 haha!
I made it into a meal last night and added some crispy skin salmon to it, and it was so dang delicious. Enjoy!