Ok, so its not technically a “bread”, however you can totally use it in place of bread if you can’t have certain things like wheat, gluten, other grains, etc. Also, its super delicious and a great healthy alternative. Most the time you see recipes like this and it just has LOADS of cheese to help bind it all together… and thats super healthy… (sarcasm). I love me some cheese, but my digestive system does not, so this is also a perfect alternative to those other recipes as well. I suppose this is considered Paleo, not that I mindfully set out to follow that type of diet, but if thats your thing, then this works perfectly… and its SO EASY to make, so lets get to it.
- 1 head cauliflower (riced)
- 4 whole eggs
- 1 cup of Almond Flour
- 1 teaspoon Sea Salt (approx)
- 1 teaspoon Black Pepper (approx)
- 1 teaspoon Garlic Powder (approx)
- 1 teaspoon Onion Powder (approx)
- 1 teaspoon Smoked Paprika (approx)
- 1 teaspoon Chili Powder (approx)
- 1 Tablespooon Tumeric (approx)
- In a large mixing bowl, stir together ALL of the ingredients until completely mixed
- take a sheet pan w/ parchment (baking) paper and spread out the mix into the shape and thickness you’d like. I did mine into a square that was about 1/4 inch thick
- Bake in a preheated oven @ 350° for approx 15-20 mins until golden brown
- Once cooked, take out of oven and place on a cooling rack (take the whole sheet of paper from the baking pan, and move it to cooling rack)
- Once cooled down, slice it to the desired shapes of “bread” you’d like to use
So as you can see, its quite simple, and you can adjust the flavors any way you want to just by adjusting the spices. I’ve only used it for breakfast so far, but you could definitely use it as a bread substitute for normal sandwiches as well. The savory flavors lend themselves perfectly to that. I like to even toast mine up a little more for breakfast, so I can make “avocado toast” (shown below) to add a little more crispy texture, which you can do in a pan on the stove, the toaster, or even in the oven a little longer.
The Tumeric is also a great anti-inflammatory ingredient, if thats something you’ve been having trouble with, so other than taste, its a good thing to have in general… so DOUBLE WIN.
I’ll definitely be making this more often since its so simple, and delicious. I encourage you to give it a shot, and see what you think for yourself!