So I still haven’t eaten dairy in like… 5 months or something like that, but had really been craving that flavor of delicious gooey cheese. There are tons of recipes out there with cheese alternatives (and some are just blehhh), so I decided to try something myself, and I came up with this (I even used the sauce mixture w/ rice to make a “cheesey rice” dish too, pretty tasty). its NOT exactly mac & cheese that you get from that box you’re used to (which, thank goodness), or even the homemade stuff you toss in the oven, however its a pretty solid mimic of the dish and comes pretty close to giving that creamy thick cheesey type feel and taste, and definitely fills the void. Let me tell you how to get it done:
- 1 lb ground turkey (browned up)
- 1 head broccoli (chopped and steamed)
- 1 large sweet potato (roasted or boiled until fully cooked)
- 1 can coconut milk
- 1 lb cooked pasta (I used Brown Rice Rotini)
- Spices: smoked paprika, onion powder, garlic powder, sea salt, black pepper (approx 1/2 Tbsp each) and 1-2 Tbsp’s of Tumeric. Can adjust all these to your taste
- 2-3 Tbsp Braggs Nutritional Yeast flakes
- blend together the sweet potato, coconut milk, seasonings and Nutritional Yeast into a thick sauce, taste and adjust seasonings.
- stir all together over low heat with the cooked broccoli, turkey, and pasta
- stuff yo face!
Its seriously that easy, and will probably be my new go-to for when I want some mac & cheese, and its MUCH healthier. Try it out, and leave comments!